There are a lot of food that American Football players eat during their daily routines to ensure they carry on bulking up and turning all the good fats into lean muscle. When you look at some of the NFL players you instantly think “he is huge; he looks fatter than he is anything else” but then you would be wrong, because that would be muscle, or at least close to it. Some NFL players look fat but that’s just how they are built and you will find that they are the ones that spend most of the time in the gym. Although in some cases certainly football players do eat badly, even junk food, in general they take care of themselves. American Football players live by certain eating rules on a day to day basis and below you will find 5 of them.
- Eat loads of calories – It’s important for footballers that they get a mass amount of calories on a daily basis, and when they are in the gym they turn the fat into muscle. They will start off their eating habits with a big breakfast, then a snack, then lunch, then another snack, then tea, and possibly another snack before doing it all again. So that would suggest that they consume thousands of calories on a day to day basis because they know they are going to spend their days working it off or turning it into muscle. It’s important for players to get fat to be able to get muscle, and that’s how they work.
- Plenty of protein – Players thrive on eating plenty of food such as chicken that is high in protein, because that will help them to build muscle. Players will often get their daily fix of protein before and after a workout which is when it is of most value to them. You will find that even players that aren’t trying to bulk up such as punters in the game will still try and eat at least 200g worth of protein on a daily basis.
- Healthy fatty foods – There are plenty of foods that players eat such as nuts and meat products that provide healthy fat. This is important for those that need to eat thousands of calories per day because otherwise they would be eating a tonne of food that would take them forever to eat.
- Fibre and vitamins – Fruit and vegetables are especially important to players because they contain the most fibres and vitamins, and plenty of other goodness. There are plenty of players in the league that consume a stupid amount of fruit and veg on a weekly basis and they feel it has made them faster and stronger. There are rumours that some teams put on a basis fruit and vegetable stand during lunch so players can dig in, and apparently they consume over 500 pounds of the stuff on a weekly basis.
- Players always start their day with breakfast – Breakfast isn’t for everyone, but it is if you are an NFL player. Players get told they have to eat as much as they can during breakfast as it is the most important meal of the day, especially if they are going to be training hard and weight lifting for the majority of it. This is the point in the day when players consume a lot of eggs and fruit, and foods such as nuts and seeds.
These are 5 of the many eating rules NFL players live by on their daily eating habits as they are very important for their workout regimes. You will often find that many of them are even more strict in the sense that they will never eat any cheat food for as long as they are playing the game.